Product Description Pages:
Ascendo Dictionaries for Android
- Single Search. Words from both languages are stored in a single index so you no longer need to select a language lookup direction.
- Usage Examples. Now displayed on dictionary keyword screen in addition to lookup list.
- Improved Phrasebook. Increased size to 528 phrases (265 in each language) in 20 categories.
- Noun Genders. Now displayed next to dictionary keywords in addition to translations.
- Reverse Lookup. Tap on any translation or usage example to look it up in the dictionary.
- Text-to-speech Pronunciation. Tap on any translation to or usage example to hear audio pronunciation.
- Enhanced support for accented characters. Tap and hold keyboard letter to display accented variations used to search.
- Improved Performance. Fast lookups and database initialization.
- Translate buttons added to initiate full text translation when editing is complete.
- Improved layout and colors for dictionary, phrasebook and verb conjugation screens.
- Verb Conjugation. Added action bar option to conjugate verbs found in dictionary.
- Improved tab menu icons and option naming.
- Improved phrase category and speaker icons.
- Removed Bing Translation as Microsoft no longer offers API for free.
- Added dictionary words reported missing by users.
Google announced that the Google Translate API used in version 5.1 will no longer be free as of December 1st, 2011. As a result,
we have implemented several options to insure continuity, see FAQ for more information.
- Implemented Settings > Translate using... > Google Translate (In-App) to provide seemless integration with Google Translate API until Decebmer 1st, 2011.
- Implemented Settings > Translate using... > Bing Translator (In-App) to provide seemless integration with Bing Translator API until March 1st, 2012.
- Implemented Settings > Translate using... > Google Translate (Browser) to provide free access to Google Translate from browser window within Ascendo Dictionary.
- Implemented Settings > Translate using... > Bing Translator (Browser) to provide free access to Bing Translator from browser window within Ascendo Dictionary.
- Implemented Settings > Translate using... > Custom URL (Browser) to provide free access to user-defined translation web site from browser window within Ascendo Dictionary.
- Added in-app purchase of Google Translate credits to provide seemless integration with Google Translate API after free service is halted by Google.
- Added text-to-speech for translations, phrases and conjugations.
- Improved translation screen format.
- Added minimum media volume to insure that users hear text-to-speech even if media volume was set to off by another application.
- Improved Attach Image setting on dictionary word translation screen to automatically resize images.
- Fixed bug in conjugation lookup.
- Enhanced dictionary and conjugation lookup of words including special characters.
- Added clear text button for lookup and translation fields.
- Improved graphics for splash screen, tab icons and application icon for hi-res devices and tablets.
- Improved dictionary lookup screen lookup.
- Added history button next to lookup field.
- Improved icon for switch language direction to the right of lookup field.
- Increase number of conjugations to include over 6,000 verbs.
- Improved quiz algorithm to filter for compound forms and proper nouns.
- Implemented text-to-speech for dictionary lookups (requires internet).
- Implemented Translate tab to provide access to Google Translate API (requires internet, availability subject to Google policies).